Why seat belts?
It has been clearly demonstrated that seat belts offer good protection in the event of an accident. That is why the use of seat belts is a legal requirement in most countries.
- Fasten your seat belts each time before setting off-even when driving in town! This also applies to passengers in the rear.
- Expectant mothers should also wear a seat belt at all times
- Apart from their normal protective function, the seat belts are also designed to hold the driver and front passenger in position in the event of an accident to allow the airbag to offer maximum protection.
In the event of a frontal collision, car occupants who are not wearing a seat belt are thrown forward and strike parts of the interior of the car, such as the steering wheel, instrument panel, windscreen, in an uncontrolled way.
The widespread opinion that you can support your body with your hands in a minor collision is incorrect. The forces to which the body is subjected even in accidents which occur at low speed, can no longer be properly absorbed.
It is also important that occupants of the rear seat wear their seat belts otherwise they will be thrown through the car in an uncontrolled way in an accident. A passenger at the rear who is not wearing a seat belt is therefore a risk not only for himself, but also for the front seat occupants.
General Notes :
- The webbing of the seat belt must not be jammed or twisted and must not chafe against sharp edges.
- On no account should two persons(also children) use the same seat belt.
- The maximum protection offered by the seat belts is only achieved if you are correctly seated.
- The Webbing of the seat belt must not run across fixed or fragile objects (spectacles,fountain-pens etc.) because this could cause physical injuries.
- Bulky,loose-fitting clothing(e.g a winter coat worn over a jacket) adversely affects the correct seated position and proper operation of the belts.
- It is prohibited to use clamps or similar objects to fix or set the position of a seat belt to match the body’s proportions.
- The lock tongue must only be inserted onto the seat belt buckle of the appropriate heat- otherwise the seat belt cannot provide the necessary protection and the risk of injuiry increases.
- The webbing of the seat belt should be kept clean.Proper operation of the inertia reel can be affected by dirt.
- The slot for inserting the lock tongue must not be blocked by paper or such like otherwise the lock tongue must not properly lock in place.
- Seat belts which have suffered damage or have been subjected to excessive stress during an accident and have therefore stretched, have to be replaced- this is the best done by a Skoda Dealer.In addition, the anchorage points of the seat belts should be inspected.
- The operation of seat belts fitted to cars in certain export countries may differ from the inertial reel and lap belts.
Three -point inertia- reel seat belts :
Inertial reel seat belts provide full freedom of movement for the occupants if they are unreeled slowly. The belts block, however, during a sudden brake application. The inertia reel also blocks the seat belts when the car is accelerated, when driving downhill and when cornering. The backrests of the front seats must not be titled too far back otherwise the seat belts may not provide maximum protection.